Tabaluga-Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie

4 posters

Go down

"Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie Empty "Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie

Post  Arktos Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:28 pm

Habemus English title!
It looks like it was only released for Prime home entertainment for now (just search for "Ice Princess Lily" on Amazon US), but things may change. I don't think I'll be buying this though as the dubbing literally hurts my ears ("You are a dragon and you will fly"... that's as flat as a broken tire  Neutral). If only they'd kept the original actors from the cartoon series... bounce
Arktos
Arktos

Back to top Go down

"Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie Empty Re: "Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie

Post  Tyrion Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:54 pm

I think it's pretty sad that they changed the title like this. I mean, a lot of children will think probably now that it's a movie about a princess like Elsa in Frozen, and not about a young dragon who searches his fire.
I wasn't going to draw the gender-card here, but.... I don't think that a lot of boys might watch it now, because they think the movie to be "girls stuff" (my younger brother surely would be such a case, it's just a very typical thing for his age to think that every girl's stuff is "embarrassing").
Also, they actually made a side character be the title character, and that's even worse for me. I mean, it would be the same if they renamed the Disney movie "Pocahontas" to "John Smith", or my favourite videogame from "Alan Wake" to "Alice Wake", the name of the protagonists wife. It's just like.... nope 😒
Can't say anything about the dubbing, though, I never watched the cartoon in English 😅
Tyrion
Tyrion
Admin

http://tabaluga-fans.forummotion.com/

Back to top Go down

"Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie Empty Re: "Ice Princess Lily" - English release of the CGI Tabaluga movie

Post  Arktos Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:42 pm

I wholeheartedly agree.

It all comes down to Instagram star Mackenzie Ziegler, who does Lilli's voice: she has millions of followers on Instagram, so of course ( Rolling Eyes ) they couldn't help but put her on a pedestal and confine Tabaluga in the corner like a bad pupil nobody wants to talk to. This makes me so mad, despite knowing that many people will go to see the movie for things other than the average Instagrammer.

I'm being lazy here but let me copy-paste a comment I left on the trailer on YouTube:
I don't even understand why they put so much emphasis on Lily/Lilli when she's not even the main character in the story this movie is based on. The dragon gets so much more screen time, not to mention the fact that Lily is not to be seen nor heard until almost 20 minutes into the movie. Is "Tabaluga" that ugly a title? I guess you have to attract those millions of Instagram followers somehow, but this is shameless marketing. On the bright side: Tabaluga gets famous! Yay!

Here's the trailer, if anyone's interested:

It first seemed it was going to be released in the first week of November for home entertainment, now I'm reading 27 Dec 2019 in selected cinemas. Either way, it's coming out.
Arktos
Arktos

Back to top Go down

Post  TabalugaDragon Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:08 am

All I can say as a die-hard Tabaluga(the dragon, not just the 90-s cartoon series) fan - BASTARDS! How could they do this to my favorite character? REMOVING HIM from the poster, REMOVING HIM from the name of HIS OWN MOVIE, and making the trailer look like LILLI is the main character and he doesn't really matter. We, Tabaluga fans have been waiting for this movie for so many years, and this is what we get for the sake of money due to popularity of Frozen? Soulless, dirtiest, ugliest marketing at it's finest. I honestly wanna punch in the face the person who came up with this idea and everyone who supported it. What did Tabaluga do to deserve this?

I remember, when the trailer didn't exist yet and the poster wasn't changed yet, the title for my coountry(Russia) was already, so I made a video for the russian studio which decided to change the name, where I calmly and logically explained why the original title(or combination of original title+ice princess, everybody wins) makes much more sense. A few months after that, Tabaluga was removed from the poster ENTIRELY(like he doesn't really matter and only Lilli does) and a few months later the trailer was released which made it look like Lilli is the main character. scratch

I can't find the proper words for such actions. As one of the biggest fans of the little dragon, I feel infuriated, while can't do anything about it.
TabalugaDragon
TabalugaDragon
Admin

https://tabalugafans.forum2x2.ru

Back to top Go down

Post  Arktos Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:48 pm

I second this. ^
What's worse is that the movie was frowned upon because of its misleading title. Frozen rip-off, dollar-store Frozen and blah blah. And with that nobody's got really a clue about who Lilli really is. She's not a princess with cryogenic powers, but marketing hinted that way... Neutral
They deserve it though. The bashing, I mean. If they'd stuck to the original title, people wouldn't have had false expectations. That's what you get when you try to milk every penny out of some obscure follower of some even more obscure celebrity. Too bad Tabaluga found himself caught between two fires, and this fire did hurt.
Arktos
Arktos

Back to top Go down

Post  TroyTheDragonLover Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:46 pm

Agree with everyone here. I first recall being excited when I heard Tabaluga the film was coming out in the USA through the news. I contacted Viva Pictures the company because the site claimed they reply to all fans about the movie releases.
I explained the way it is my favorite character and talked about it a bit. They never replied. A few months later I saw the first trailer and was devastated what shameful marketing.
Despite this I really think it was a good movie not as good as the cartoon but still very enjoyable. Marketing had been better more people could be introduced to Tabaluga.
TroyTheDragonLover
TroyTheDragonLover

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down