Tabaluga-Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fantasy books & others

Go down

Fantasy books & others Empty Fantasy books & others

Post  Arktos Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:27 pm

I recently delved into Tony DiTerlizzi's children's literature.
He's best known as co-author of the Spiderwick series, but he conquered my heart with his WondLa trilogy. It kind of filled it with a homy sensation, the same feeling I get when I imagine myself sitting on a wooden porch, ears filled with the sound of crickets and eyes fixed on a crimson summer sunset.
Not even Narnia dug so deep into me.
A weird mixture of Avatar and The Wizard of Oz, the WondLa trilogy is about this small girl named Eva who ultimately needs to save planet Orbona by an enemy who would very much like to dominate over it as a tyrant. What's worse, Eva is all alone: when she is forced to escape her underground refuge, what she expects to be on the surface is not really what she finds. There are no other humans around and the only valuable thing that she saved from her home is but a piece of paper with some letters, WondLa, printed on it.
All books are packed full of artworks by DiTerlizzi himself. The world building is second to none in this genre: unknown animals, unknown plants, unknown aliens. And despite all this, Orbona looks both so brand new and oddly familiar...
Needless to say, the New World/Eden setting also reminded me about Tabaluga!

Have you already read it, or better still happened to read similar books? I'm all ears!
Arktos
Arktos

Back to top Go down